Memoir - My Calling & When I write I hover (Parte 3.1)


For Chicanos existing in the borderlands/la frontera is difficult. Growing up it is hard to figure out your identity, or where you fit in with others. Not being accepted by either side of your ethnic identity makes you feel homeless. Many young people, including Anzaldua, began turning to books as a means of escape into another world. In this way many begin to fall in love with language and rhetoric, leading them towards another way to try and make sense of the world they live in: writing. I followed a similar path, growing up I would read any book that I could get my hands on, mostly mystery because much like my life, I never knew where the story was going to take me. Eventually I began writing on my own, in journals trying to mix my fictional world with my reality. Trying to make sense of who I am and how I feel in different moments. When I write I hover perfectly encapsulates the feeling of writing in the line, "I write not just to escape reality but to create a new reality (pg.238)." Your writing is your art, it is your reality and the act of writing it down solidifies that and makes it so that it will never be taken from you.

Comments