Del Otro Lado ( Parte 2.3)




As a queer Chicana I can relate to being alienated by family because of your queer identity. I was fortunate in that my immediate family was mostly welcoming of my sexual identity. My father, however told me that I can never bring a partner to a family gathering, especially if my abuela is there. The only way that he was going to accept this part of my identity was if he never had to see my relationships or hear of them. In one second a huge section of my self was unwelcome and pushed away. Anzaldua perfectly dictates that feeling of rejection in the lines:

Pushed to the end of the world 
there she made her home on the edge 
of towns, neighborhoods, blocks, houses. 
pushed always toward the other side.

This feeling of abandonment is explored throughout Anzaldua's poem, that no matter where you turn you are pushed away in some way. This again forces queer women of color to leave sections of their identity at the door, just for the sake of safety.




Comments